ONE or more handy hints to help you when renting a home

The condition report

Before your tenancy begins, your Property Manager must inspect the property and record the condition of the premises on a signed condition report. As the tenant you must then inspect the premises and complete the tenant section of this condition report to see if you are in agreement or disagreement with the condition of the various listed features. A copy must be returned to the Property Manager within seven days of receiving it, keeping the second copy for yourself as a record, to be used at the end of the tenancy.

Check who pays the water rates

Under your residential tenancy agreement you may or may not be required to pay the water usage on your rental property. If your agreement states that you must pay for water, then your Property Manager must indicate on the condition report whether the premises have the required water efficiency measures.

Lodging your bond and paying rent in advance

Your bond is security for the landlord if you stop paying rent or damage the property. It is the equivalent of four weeks rent. The bond is lodged online with the Rental Bond Board. If all is in order you can claim the bond at the end of the tenancy and receive a refund. You must also pay a minimum of two weeks rent in advance at the start of the lease.

Payment of your rent

Your agreed rent will be paid via electronic funds transfer. Rent can be paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly and must always be in advance. Our Property Manager must give you at least 60 days’ written notice if the landlord wishes to increase the rent, subject to the terms of the rental agreement.

Repairs, maintenance and emergencies

Requests for all repairs and maintenance must be made in writing to your Property Manager, via email. These will be attended to as rapidly as possible with minimal disruption to you. For any urgent emergency repairs such as plumbing, electrical or dangerous structural issues, phone your Property Manager immediately. If they are unavailable, check your tenancy agreement for the details of a nominated tradesperson to contact, or call emergency services if necessary.